Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Unrealistic Expectations Aside....

The comment by 3DogGardener brings up some good issues - You know how the airbrushed photos of supermodels set us up for unrealistic expectations for ourselves? Well I feel the same way about the pictures of gardens I see in magazines. Surely they are airbrushed and augmented because no way no how is my garden going to meet the unrealistic expectations of colorful blooming flowers, perfectly proportioned plants and the bountiful weed-free kitchen gardens that could sustain a family of six which are portrayed in those pictures. I would settle for something much more realistic and achievable. Perhaps 3DogGardener is right - I need to put down the Southern Living and take a look around my neighborhood at some of the other yards that look beautiful despite heavy clay soil and mature trees rendering thick shade. While walking the other night I did see a beautiful natural presentation of ferns, hostas and groundcover under a large tree. I will post a picture of that and see if there is anyway I can achieve something even close to it.

2 comments:

  1. Lynn, if the tulips pictured at the top of the page are yours, I'd say you have at least three reasons to be proud! I wish you the best of luck on your project--be sure to call up G, too...he's only started about 1,000 plants. I'm sure he'll be willing to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds as if the Hesitant Gardener's plight for a realitic greenspace is making some progress. I do believe that in today's busy world there is little interest in re-creating the wheel so Hesitant Gardener go ahead and copy your neighbor's ideas to the max. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, you know. I, myself, have been trying to get the feel of The Netherlands by planting more than any normal home owner's share of tulips. It has been a 3 year work in progress but thanks to the squirrels I am only half way there. In copying your neighbor's design I would encourage you to add to it in some way in order to personalize your yard. Given your hesitancy in gardening perhaps you should consider adding a non-plant item to the space to individualize it. Remember, your hesitancy is in gardening not shopping, so you should have no problem buying something that requires no human care to survive and your garden would benefit from its color, shape and form. Then, if your added touch gets copied by your neighbor you will know you are getting it. Also, I do think your first purchase should be bags full of organic soil products (humus, manure, compost, worm casings, etc.) in order to prep the space for all the beautiful plants coming its way.

    ReplyDelete